Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Sunne in Splendour, & in Laredo, Texas of All Places

This afternoon, social media lit up with photos of what the local weatherman informed us was a "circumscribed sun halo." It was absolutely amazing!! I, along with many others, ran outside & took photos of it on our cellphones. In many of them, a small dot appeared, which I initially thought was a planet or just the camera freaking out at being aimed at the sun. What that dot was, however, was a sun dog!!

As Ricardians all know, the sigil of Edward IV was "the sunne in splendour," to commemorate the three suns that appeared in the sky before the Battle of Mortimer's Cross in 1461.  These sun dogs were taken as good omens since Edward won the day. (If he had lost, would they have been considered bad omens?)

Anyway, if you have never seen a sun halo or a sun dog, here are some of the pictures that I took today, along with a few that were posted on Facebook by others.  It was really hard to get these shots, as the sun was incredibly bright. I simply aimed my phone in the general direction of the sun & hoped I got some good shots.






I took these just around 12:00 noon today, in the front yard of my house. The tree kept getting in the way, so I didn't get a clear shot of the entire inner halo. But there were two halos around the sun.

For more photos of this event taken around Laredo today, check out the Laredo Morning Times on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lmtonline/photos/a.10151518198300118.841873.10150095255780118/10154240357735118/?type=1&theater

No comments:

Post a Comment